Seafood is a natural for grilling and this spicy sweet salmon recipe is no exception. The ginger glaze can be prepared in minutes and adds exotic Asian flavours and a touch of heat to locally farmed Atlantic salmon. Be sure and buy salmon with the skin on for grilling, it will help hold the fish together while it cooks.
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- ½ cup oyster sauce*
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 Canadian farmed Atlantic salmon fillets (skin-on) approx 200 grams each
- Vegetable oil
*available in the Asian food section of most supermarkets
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oyster sauce, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil until thoroughly combined.
- Pat each piece of salmon dry with a paper towel.
- Over indirect medium-high heat on a well-oiled grill, cook the salmon skin side up for 4-5 minutes or until the fish releases easily from the grill. Using a spatula, flip the salmon so that the skin side is down. Brush the top and sides of the salmon liberally with the glaze and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. As a general rule of thumb, grill salmon 6-8 minutes for every inch of thickness.
- Like any protein, let the salmon rest for a few minutes before serving.