This colourful one-skillet Paella is a simple version of the Spanish classic that’s bursting with authentic flavours! It’s the perfect easy meal after a long day at work made mostly from pantry staple items, and it’s full of nutritious vegetables, long grain rice, spicy chorizo sausage and delicious Canadian farmed Blue Mussels. Cooking all the ingredients in one skillet is quick and easy, and it creates a delectable seafood flavour throughout the whole dish that everyone will love! It’s healthy, it’s gluten-free, it’s easy on the budget, and it’s the perfect addition to your weeknight meal plan!
Total Time Required: 35-45 minutes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- a generous pinch of black pepper
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 1 796ml can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium dry chorizo sausages, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds Canadian farmed Blue mussels
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet with the oil and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and salt and pepper and cook until the spices become fragrant (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add the rice, the diced tomatoes in their juices and the broth. Stir until the everything is well combined, turn the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Allow the rice mixture to cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is almost cooked thoroughly and only a small amount of liquid remains, making sure to stir every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Add the bell peppers and the chorizo sausage to the skillet and lightly toss them with the rice mixture.
- Add the mussels to the skillet and nestle them into the rice mixture and the remaining liquid and put the lid back on the skillet.
- Leave the skillet covered for about 5 minutes and remove the lid when all the mussels have opened and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Let the paella stand off the heat, partially covered, for about 2-3 minutes before serving.